Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Final Frontier/The Hedge Knight TPB


We've finally stepped into the world of Star Trek on the show. This weeks show is definitely the strangest most experimental to date. If you don't like this weeks show, then we can't help you. It's 40 minutes of insane comic book mayhem. Crank this one up and let your speakers sing with the sounds of Star Trek while learning a hell of a lot about Comic Books.


I read the Hedge Knight TPB this weekend and I have to say it was pretty incredible. I know this is an older TPB and by doing a review on it now I am about 4 years behind the times, but I have to express my opinion to anyone who has not read this wonderful graphic novel.

This is the story of Dunk the Lunk, a squire to a relatively unknown Hedge Knight in George R.R. Martins luscious world of the "Song of Fire and Ice" series of books. This story takes place 100 years earlier than that storyline. Dunk ends up burying his mentor and deciding to enter the tournaments in "Kings Landing". On the way he meets a young kid who would like to squire for him. Dunk denies the kid what he wants but the kid won't take no for an answer and follows Dunk to the tournaments.

I don't want to ruin the whole story for you but the kid is a huge part of the outcome and Dunk the Lunk manages to get into plenty of trouble once he arrives at "Kings Landing".

The artwork and script are both top notch in this TPB. At first I thought the artist was playing it a little safe but once I got deeper into the book I realized this might have been done on purpose and he was just keeping himself in the background to the great storyline. This is of course the best part of the book. The dialog is nearly flawless along with the flow of the story. I found it an easy read, which in my mind makes for a great comic all around.

If you haven't read or picked this up yet, I would recommend this to anyone who likes a good sword and sorcery tale. For those of you who love George R.R. Martins "Song of Fire and Ice" books, then can I just say, "What the fuck are you doing NOT reading this?" This is a must have for you.

I give this TPB 4 stars out of 5.

Michael

No comments: