Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Market Spotlight!

Totally an earner, eh.
























Alpha Flight Classic Vol 1
Marvel Comics
SRP:    $24.99
ISBN:    0785127461

This volume collects the first 8 issues of Alpha Flight, as written and pencilled by John Byrne.  Really good stuff, actually.  Sort of revolutionary at the time in that it was a team book which rarely if ever featured the entire team.  Members were dispatched as skill sets dictated, or luck sometimes played a part.  Sometimes Puck would just get into it with hospital staff.  These things happened in the 80s.

The point is that Amazon min on this book is currently sitting at around $50, which makes it pretty attractive at full retail and full-on Aurora attractive for less.  I like the long term prospects on this book.  I just don't see Marvel going back to press on this book.

The Maxx, Volume 1
DC/Wildstorm
SRP:   $17.95
ISBN:   1401201245

This one is a little weird. I can tell you that the first editions of The Maxx were produced by Image, (2 volumes worth, to be exact) but I can't tell you what those volumes are worth.  Or are they folded into the Wildstorm prices?  As much as I like to pretend I'm an expert on these matters, I just don't know.

I do know that as I type this prices on used copies of the Wildstorm edition run at $25+, and really nice copies cost you $50 or more.  So if you find one in NM, you've got lots of room for profit at full retail.

I'm not surprised to see this spike.  This property made it to MTV, for crying out loud, and Sam Keith has a distinctive style.  I can see a niche crowd wanting these forever.  My suspicion is that there is a premium on the original Image editions, or at least there should be.  The good news is that since they're older, if you should find them at your local comic shop your entry point will be more, not less.  No way to lose on this one, near as I can tell.

Authority Vol 6 - Fractured Worlds
DC/Wildstorm
SRP:     $17.95
ISBN:     1401203000

Amazon min for this book is at $45.  I've made plenty of money on Final Orbit, so I tend to trust this a little more than the average anomaly.  Maybe the new Stormwatch book pumps more interest into these Authority books?  Stranger things have happened.  I certainly advocate paying full retail on Fractured Worlds.

No comments: