Wednesday, August 31, 2011

DCnU: Preliminary Returns!






















I walked into Hot Comics in New Hope today with yearning anticipation in my heart, which is unusual for me.  Usually it's just quiet rage.  Now, I wasn't expecting Geoff Johns to hand me a slice of pizza or anything like that.  This is flyover country, not Midtown Comics.  I get that.

But maybe, just maybe, I thought I might find a small avalanche of people inside.  Or old regulars, even.  Hot Comics is the joint where Baby Mike used to participate in Wednesday Morning Breakfast Club, you know?

Instead what I found was Rasul, Mike, and one other customer.  Rasul had the Thundercats playing on his laptop, and other than that it was quiet as a grave in there.  There were plenty of copies of Justice League # 1 on the rack, sans poly-bag.  I don't know if that means that DC ditched the poly-bag idea, or if Hot Comics just removed them.  Either way, I think it was a fantastic idea to have that bright cover showing and not a sheaf of plastic.

Granted, this one tiny comic shop just outside the City That God Forgot is not an indicative microcosm of the larger world.  But still, I couldn't help but feel the wind come out of Schrodinger's Cat this morning.  I walked in there at 11:15am, they'd been open for an hour, this was not only Wednesday, it was goddamn NEW DCnU WEDNESDAY, {BOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!}and it was just business as usual.  Or less.  Probably less.

I asked Mike and Rasul if they'd seen any new faces in the shop looking for that JLA book.  They saw one guy..  "And he didn't end up getting anything."  Yikes.

Muy disapointante.  I'm not going to comment on either the Justice League # 1 or the Flashpoint finale yet, because believe it or not, we will be discussing these when we record Chronic Insomnia # 201 tomorrow night.  So.  Stay tuned for that - should be available bright and early on Friday morning!

- Ryan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JL#1, So much for the self contained single issue story...

Mike from NY

Stephen said...

I spoke with the manager of an LCS that I shop at her in my city of Vancouver, Canada,and he said that they ordered 80 copies of JLA 1 and promptly sold out. Of those 80 copies, about 30 were for subscribers and the remaining 50 were for walk in traffic or sold to those who shop there but dont have a sub-service box with them. He also said that they sold as many copies of flashpoint 5 in that one week as they did of Flashpoint 4 over the previous four weeks, so it looks like some of the hype is getting through to casual comic fans - at least in my town.